Sunday, September 8, 2013

Team Smith

Yes, my name is Jon Smith and I have the most common first and last name in America. Well, it's Jonathan Smith to be exact, but close enough. Don't get me wrong, having such a common name does have its perks. Filling out any sort of form is extremely easy when you name is the example name. You're jealous, I know.

Eagle Mountain, UT is where I call home. I'm a Junior, majoring in English (of course) and hope to be teaching Seminary after I graduate. I enjoy music, cinema, and a good game of golf when I get the chance. I'm quiet to those who don't know me, and loud to those who do. A little too loud at times.

I love being an English major. I've always been the kind of person who preferred writing essays to tests and had my nose buried in a book when I should have been paying attention in class. I've written a few scripts for film and am currently "working" on a novel. I wish I could remove the quotations, but will school starting they won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Discussing the many elements of literature and cinema, especially characters, is what I live for. Be careful if you get into such a discussion with me, I may never stop talking.

Paradise Lost blew my mind the first time I read it, and has been high on my list of favorite works ever since. I have a soft spot for the epics of Virgil and Homer and The Histories of Herodotus. Milton captures their greatness in so many ways while portraying a subject that is so very close to home. Since my dream is to teach Seminary I approach religious topics like the Fall with great passion, and love to explore their possibilities. I'm excited to get deeper into Milton's works and explore his life, legacy, and what made him so great. Team Milton! Woot!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you have some experience with and interest in the classic epics. That will come in handy with Paradise Lost! Welcome to the class.

    ReplyDelete